Thursday, March 19, 2009

The Art of Mending by Elizabeth Berg

In this book Laura is going home for her annual trip with her family for the Minnesota State Fair which she has been going to since she was a child. Now married with children, they have continued this tradition with her parents and siblings.

Before she arrives she gets the ominous phone call from her sister Caroline that she wants to talk to her and her brother alone while she is there. Caroline doesn't offer any information over the phone and has Laura reminising a bit about how Caroline was always upset or removed from everything.

While at the fair tragedy befalls the family and while dealing with that Caroline is trying to come to grips with her issues in the family as well.

I don't really want to say more because I don't want to give anything away. The book was really good.

One of the most amazing things to me is that three children can grow up in the same house, but all with different memories and feelings about that. I come from a family with three older brothers and when we are all together talking about our past I am amazed at how different we all interpret it.

I would definately recommend this book. This had been on my TBR list for a while and am glad I finally got to it. I think it would make a great book club read as there is lots to discuss from the different points of view.

No comments:

Post a Comment