Friday, April 3, 2009

An Invitation to Provence by Elizabeth Adler

I "read" this as an unabridged audio book. It was weird because I liked it most of the time, but overall I would say I didn't like writing style.

The book is a good premise, an old lady in Provence, France owns a chateau and winery. Her kids are gone for one reason or another and she is basically alone. She decides to have a "family" reunion to bring life back to the chateau. She invites a long lost distant neice, her old lover's son, an old friend and her sons, while in the process, one son dies and it is discovered he had a daughter so she invites her 10 year old granddaughter who is living in poverty in China.

It wasn't much of a family reunion, as there were more people there that were not related than the related ones.

I liked the characters, but the writing style just didn't work for me. The dialogue was very forced, and at times seemed to come out of nowhere. Big reveals, were really no big deal and again forced. It seemed like she was trying to force action where she should have just let the characters do their thing. I guess what I am trying to say is she wrote really good, interesting characters, but the rest was not very good.

No comments:

Post a Comment