Friday, April 3, 2009

Behind the Lines by Andrew Carroll

WOW! This was a very good, interesting book. It was just a slow read for me and I'm not used to that.

This book brings letters from soldiers, their family and/or eye witnesses during times of war.

I had read another book like this years ago, but this one was so much more fascinating. I really liked the fact that the letters came from both sides. You could get the mindset of the kamikaze pilot and the Germans on the front line of WWII. The letters go back to the Revolutionary War and go all the way through all the major and minor conflicts up to current day Iraq and Afghanistan.

It was very interesting and very moving, but at times it drug a bit. It did get a bit too tactical for my tastes at times, but overall it was a great book and I think a must read for every citizen. It definitely made me feel lucky that we have never known a full blown war on our soil like those in Europe did during WWII.


No comments:

Post a Comment