Tuesday, May 19, 2009

The Guernsey Literar and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows

Wow what a great book!!! I totally understand why it is so popular. I wasn't sure about it, but it had gotten such great reviews it was put on my TBR list. I'm so glad I read it.

Told in letter form it is a story of an island in Europe that was occupied by Nazis during WWII. An author received a letter from a man on the island and comes to talk about the Literary Society they formed during that time, completely by accident. Intrigued the writer, Juliet, begins corresponding with not only Dawsey, the original gentlemen who sent her the letter, but other residents of the island and members of the Literary Society.

I thought it was fantastic and fair minded. While it does describe the atrocities of the Nazis, it also tells of the humanity of some of the Germans. But that is not the main story. The main story are these residents and how they survived. Each character is somewhat quirky and fun. I loved them all!

It is definitely a book I would recommend to everyone. Absolutely fantastic.

1 comment:

  1. I love the book choices you make! I need to drop by here more often and pick up suggestions for great books.

    Just hopping by via the Hop....

    ReplyDelete