Thursday, February 26, 2009

Happiness Sold Separately by Lolly Winston

I really enjoyed this book. To be honest I didn't even know the subject matter when I picked it up, it was on the discounted shelves at Borders. It was actually the audio version.

Imagine my surprise when the main topic was infertility and how it affects a marriage, in this case the husband turned to another woman.

Having first hand knowledge of infertility I understood a lot of the El's (the wife) feelings. Although she really had a lot of anger towards her husband. In the beginning I felt Ted was a jerk for having the affair, as it went on you could understand. I want to clarify, I understood, not condoned. I still thought it was a crappy thing to do, but when the relationship with his wife soured, his resistance was down.

It felt like Ms. Winston tried to make the mistress, Gina, a little more sympathetic by giving her a difficult child and bad ex boyfriends. I think it had the opposite effect for me. It never showed that she struggled with the morality of having an affair. Yes she said she knew it was wrong, but it never seemed to stop her or even make her hesitate.

That being said overall I really enjoyed the book. I did like that there was no happy ending. A lot of books that deal in any way with infertility have the ending where the couple somehow gets a baby. Real life is not always like that for a variety of reasons.

No comments:

Post a Comment