Thursday, February 26, 2009

Booking through Thursday - Collectibles

Hardcover? Or paperback?
Illustrations? Or just text?
First editions? Or you don’t care?
Signed by the author? Or not?

Okay I am just getting into this blogging thing, but I saw this on some other websites and loved hearing all the responsess.

http://btt2.wordpress.com/2009/02/26/collectibles/

For me, I have a fair mixture of paperback and hardback. I like hardback for the way it looks on my shelves, but I like paperback to carry around reading. And since I am nuts for the barnes and noble clearance items, they offer a broad range of paperback and hardback. I really don't care about illustrations or not. I don't really care about the edition. If I could get them all signed by the author I would, but its not a big issue to me one way or the other.

I just like having books and lots of them. When I walk into a book store I feel a calm come over me. Its hard to explain. My only anxiety is when I have to make either or choices. I would love to walk in and say one of every fiction book please. I would also love to have the time to read them.

My question to anyone who might be reading this is, what do you do with a book your not liking? Do you continue reading to finish it or do you just stop reading?

I tend to do both depending on the book, but if it is really bad I just stop. I used to feel I had to power through, but I have learned that life is too short to waste time reading something I don't enjoy, and there are too many good books out there I could be reading.

1 comment:

  1. I have a mixture of hardcovers and paperbacks on my shelves, too. :)

    To answer your question, I don't put up with a book if I'm not enjoying it. I do the 50-page-rule by author Nancy Pearl, which is, if you're still not liking the book by page 50, abandon it and find something else you'll enjoy. Life's too short to spend torturing yourself on a book. Sometimes I don't even go so far as 50 pages, I stop at 3 or 10, depends if I get the style and realize I don't like it that early on.

    ReplyDelete